Qualities to Look for in Your Web Marketing Team
In the last several years I have brought on and let go a dozen web marketing people on Agent-cy Online Marketing projects. I have helped at least 10 clients hire and fire people, especially in the area of Social Media Marketing. In fact, I do believe I have spent my 10,000 hours that philosophers now point to as the magic number of doing something to become a legitimit expert, in managing talent, so to speak. In all of this people management and assessment work, I have determined the qualities of web marketing people that matter to the success of any project. There are some specific types out there and thank God, now those that do support my client work at Agent-cy are of the highest breed of web marketers:
- The Engineering Type with a flavor for Marketing – Your Web Project Manager – Every team needs someone to crack the whip and keep the team, and most importantly the tasks and projects intact and moving. Every web project then requires this person. The person who can visualize blueprints and takes every detail into account while micro-managing time and people.
- Web Developer who sees projects through to the end with solid coding experience – This person is the glue to this team. Without a real, solid, qualified web developer that is consistent, let’s forget about web marketing success. I have worked with way too many bad web developers and there are many out there that will talk the talk, but not walk the walk.
- Web Designer that is really a web designer! You would not believe , at least I can’t, web designers who say they are web designers when in fact they are either graphic designers or really just template pushers. Not that there is anything wrong with using a template since WordPress has made it easy to implement attractive themes, but cmon web designers, let’s be honest. If you are going to indeed use a theme, then know how to customize it. I have had the privilege in working with some great web designers, so they aren’t all bad, but look for the honest ones with real experience – similar to web developers.
- Social Media Manager – For this one, I could write a book, but I will make it short (and put into my future book on the subject of Social Media Managers). This field of Social Media Management has only really exploded in the last 10 years and so there are billions of people who say they can do this well. The problem is that is not true. To do social media management well you must have a real passion and experience for communicating and engaging with others. You must have a brain in your head to truly understand the client’s needs and target’s desires. Further, this person should have experience in PR and/or marketing communications. Social Media Marketing is about driving online buzz in a positive light. PR professionals know how to do this off-line. It is a no brainer.
- A Solid SEO Consultant. Like the Social Media Manager, there are billions of SEO people around the globe who say they do it better. I get inquiries selling me SEO daily. You would think they would read what I do for a living! A solid SEO person has real client testimonials over time, has solid client experience not only in SEO, but in SEM as the sister to SEO and has been trained professionally. This SEO person must be up to date with Google changes and also understand both development and off-site SEO white hat, best practices. A solid SEO person provides detailed audits and transparency in reports.
- Content Writers – Please, people, subject matter experts are there for a reason. Writing of blog posts, articles, web copy and white papers is time consuming and can be expensive. So you want it done right. Make sure when considering content writers that they have, first, real experience in writing for the web and next a clear understanding of your target audience and content plan.
- Proven Digital Marketing Strategist. The Strategist is the conductor who leads your web marketing team to success of any web marketing project. This is where I come in. A Digital Marketing Strategist worth their weight is one who has had proven client experience in not just writing digital marketing plans; but also in the trenches web marketing project management. To give you a sense of what a Digital Marketing Strategist should cover in their work, review the list of specs in my Digital Marketing Consulting work at https://www.jasminesandler.com/digital-marketing-strategy/
I welcome you to share your comments and stories about your experiences in working with web marketing people, what you have found in your successes and challenges in the space of web marketing.